So I won’t lie to you, I totally got caught up in the Christmas hustle that I completely neglected this post. Why? I have no idea. So on this wonderful Christmas, I now have 2 posts coming at ya. So something totally insignificant happened on Saturday… I turned 26! Do I feel 26? No… I don’t really know what it’s supposed to feel like but I definitely understand why people say they don’t even remember when there birthday is as they get older. I didn’t really feel like celebrating. Instead, I felt like sleeping and that’s exactly what I did. Is this what my life has come to?
Anyways, let’s get to the meat of the post. I wanted to share with you some of my favorite “on-the-go” snacks that I rely on when I am travelling or in a rush. Sometimes I forget how hard it is for people to find healthy snacks because I haven’t eaten bread for so long. My snacks used to consist of bread, a bun, a sandwich, a bagel or some cereal. Now my snacks look completely different. I am actually at the point where I don’t even consider any grains as a good snack option but that took years.
I only buy high quality deli meat because you can get some products that have a ton of preservatives and other add-ins that just aren’t good for you. This might not be the BEST quality snack, but it’s definitely a good option if you want some protein on the go. One of the packages lasts me a pretty long time. I would never sit down and eat the whole thing because A) it’s a snack and B) that’s a ton of salt.
My Paleo Muffins
When I had these muffins on hand, they saved me from going HAM on all of the yums in the office. Is yums a word? Nope. I love to bake paleo because I know I can get something sweet and healthy that will curb any craving or temptation that I have. You can find the link to this delicious recipe here.
Crave pop or something carbonated? Drink this instead. At first I thought it was triggering my stomach pains, but it was actually blueberries which is odd. I have this on a regular basis whenever I drank to much, ate to much or just feel bloated and gross. It is a delicious way to curb any sweet cravings while still taking care of your gut health.
You have to be careful with beef jerky because there can be a lot of added sugar. I always like to get anything hot or spicy but this Siracha stuff is killer so unless you like f*cking hot, you will not like this. That being said, beef jerky is so handy because you can get it in any gas station or convenient store. This brand is my personal favorite unless you can get your hands on something homemade!
Super Plain Sweet Potato Chips
I love a good chip but usually only when I’m craving salt. These co-op brand sweet potato chips are extremely cheap and only use 3 ingredients. I wish there were more chips available that used a better oil for frying and unfortunately these chips use canola oil. The only saving grace is I’m not eating a ton of these at a time and not on a daily basis. They are perfect for a quick fix and they don’t make you constantly come back for more so you really aren’t tempted to eat the whole bag in one sitting.
Another favorite of mine this week was turning 26.
For so many years I couldn’t wait to be this age and to be honest, I love it. I decided to make a list of all the reasons I love the fact that I’m turning 26 tomorrow:
- I am at the age where people actually take you seriously but young enough that they don’t take you to seriously
- I’m learning lessons I wish I would have learned years ago, but I actually appreciate them now
- I am beginning to accept my life for what it is and not scared about what it might become
- I have my entire life in front of me and I can begin creating that life now
- I know more about myself now than I ever did
- I know what I need in a partner, in a friend, in a colleague and in myself
- I get to pick and choose to be around people that make me laugh
- Getting pregnant isn’t the end of the world – it could even be planned
- I can go out and have a good time without getting drunk
- I can go out and have a good time getting absolutely shit-faced
- I consider my parents to be two of my best friends
- I enjoy intellectual conversation about things other than boys and who did who
- I enjoy wine for no reason other than to enjoy it
- I actually give zero fucks about things that really don’t matter
I think I could go on and on, but I will stop at this. Wishing you all the best of holidays!